Top Energy-Saving Tips for Farms
Dairy farmers throughout Vermont are lowering their energy bills by using these methods:
- Milk Cooling — Reduce your milk cooling costs by up to 50% with a plate-type milk pre-cooler. Milk cooling is one of your largest electricity users.
- Milk Transfer — Optimize your milk transfer system by regulating the flow of milk through the plate cooler with a variable speed drive. Milk entering the bulk tank can be cooled to within one degree of the temperature of the incoming water.
- Vacuum Pump Controllers — Make your vacuum pump more efficient with a variable frequency drive. It will cut your vacuum pump energy costs by up to 50%.
- Water Heating — Save about half the energy you use for water heating by installing a heat recovery system. It uses the heat from the bulk tank system's compressor to pre-heat water.
- Lighting — Energy-efficient lighting can help you as much as 75% on lighting costs. Replace incandescent bulbs with energy-efficient fluorescent or LED lights.